Thursday, May 14, 2015

Paper Towns - John Green: A Review

Perhaps I was too excited to read Paper Towns because it was written by one of my most favorite authors: John Green.  The quirky, yet highly talented author has stunned me with his more favorite books, such as: Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars.  With that being said, I found that Paper Towns was not what I had sincerely hoped for.

The story, agreeably, is interesting enough.  The two main characters, Quentin ("Q") and Margo share a miscommunicated romance that seems, at least to myself, rather vague and boring.  Furthermore - the teenage angst that occurs within the novel is offputting.  Margo, in my humble opinion, seemed to be a rather spoiled brat that just couldn't sit still long enough to think about her actions. Q, on the other hand, had some very interesting character developments that were a bit exciting.  A runaway girl with a boy who loves her and doesn't feel complete without her.... a teenage love story that made me feel bored.

For me, the book wasn't worth my reading or the money I spent on the digital download.  I think that, maybe, I have outgrown John Green and am ready to sprout into new directions, with more mature characters.  Don't let my review guide you away.  John Green's writing in Paper Towns is spectacular - but I feel that, for a growing young college girl, like myself, Green's 2008 novel is geared towards high schoolers - and high schoolers alone.


No comments: